May is the official start of picnic season, and we want to help you pack your picnic basket with healthy choices.
Traditional foods like fried chicken, potato salad, and brownies can play havoc on your healthy diet plan, so with a little tweaking, you can enjoy a picnic without compromising the number on the scale.
Here are some healthy picnic food ideas to help you keep your family reaching for healthy options.
- Take advantage of the fresh fruits and vegetables and fill your picnic basket with summer produce like peaches, berries, cherries, watermelon, tomatoes, corn, zucchini, peas, and fresh herbs.
- Switch coleslaw for healthier broccoli slaw. Add some shredded carrots, and toss with a light, low-fat poppy seed or yogurt dressing for a great salad that will still be crunchy and delicious but lower in calories than the typical coleslaw.
- Choose a healthier twist on pasta or potato salad by substituting half of the pasta with fresh vegetables.
- Make your appetizers appealing by bringing healthy dips like hummus, salsa or fat-free bean dip. Slice a variety of crisp, raw vegetables like cucumbers, carrots, cherry tomatoes, radishes and cherry tomatoes for dipping.
- You don’t need to pass on the meat – just choose a healthier option. Lean ground beef, ground turkey, skinless chicken breast, pork tenderloin and veggie burgers are all good choices.
- Beat the heat with fruit infused ice water, unsweetened iced tea or low-calorie beverages.
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with a flavorful fruit salad. Mix 3 tablespoons of raw honey with ¼ cup fresh lime juice with 12 cups of fresh sliced summer fruit for a tasty summer-sweet fruit salad.
Keep your basket full of dishes that are on the lighter side and take the stress out of keeping your family eating healthy. Bear in mind that if given a choice most kids will choose fresh fruits and vegetables over sugary treats. Give them the option to choose healthy first!
Edna Cox Rice, Founder of Carolina Nutrition Consultants, is a well-known Nutrition and Fitness Expert in Lexington, SC. Edna shares reliable and practical advice on how to incorporate healthier food and smarter lifestyle choices for a healthier YOU.
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET