Oh, the crisp air of a fall day, a mug of something warm and the beautiful views make the change of the seasons the perfect time to adopt a few new healthy habits.
October is all about pumpkin.
From pumpkin smoothies, cookies, pies and pumpkin-flavored coffee it’s hard not to want to partake in the season’s all-time favorites. While all of those pumpkin choices offer lower calorie and lower sugar alternatives we have a list of our favorite ways to add pumpkin to a healthy lifestyle.
By itself, pumpkin is incredibly healthy. It’s full of vitamin C, is rich in vitamin A and potassium and 2 cups have more than 100 percent of your daily recommended value of immune-supporting benefits. So before you fall victim to those high-calorie fall favorites here are 10 ways to add healthy pumpkin to your diet.
- Mix pumpkin seeds and your favorite nuts for a healthy snack.
- Replace some of the cheese in your favorite mac and cheese recipe with pumpkin puree.
- Make a healthy pumpkin smoothie with 1 cup of almond milk, half a banana, ¼ cup pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder.
- Add a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin to your morning oatmeal with a dash of cinnamon and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Replace some of the oil in your favorite recipes with canned pumpkin. Use a 1-1 ratio. If you take out ¼ cup of oil replace it with ¼ cup of pumpkin.
- Mix pumpkin puree into your hummus for the perfect fall-inspired dip.
- Add a ¼ cup of pumpkin puree and a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to your morning waffle or pancake mix.
- Roast pumpkin seeds with coconut oil and pumpkin pie spice for an easy, low-cal snack.
- Substitute cooked pumpkin squash for potatoes as a lower-calorie side dish.
- Build a yogurt parfait by layering pumpkin and low-fat yogurt, then sprinkling pumpkin pie spice and fruit on top.
Edna Cox Rice, Founder of Carolina Nutrition Consultants, is a well-known Nutrition and Fitness Expert in Lexington, SC. Edna shares reliable and practical advice on how to incorporate healthier food and smarter lifestyle choices for a healthier YOU.
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET