The best of two fall flavors in one tasty soup. Serve with crusty French bread for a complete meal.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths, plus more for garnish
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 3/4 cups quartered shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spread oil in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish; place squash on half of pan cut sides down. Arrange apples, onions, and mushrooms in 1 layer on the other half of container. Roast in middle of oven 45 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven. Turn squash cut side up to cool. When cool enough to handle, purée squash in a food processor in batches with broth, Parmesan, garlic, half of the onions and apples, and three-fourths of the mushrooms until smooth. Transfer purée to a large saucepan.
- Add remaining roasted apples and onions to the pan with 1 cup water to reach desired consistency. Bring to a simmer. Ladle into 4 bowls, garnish with apple slices, remaining mushrooms, and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
- Time-saver alert! Make a double batch of this soup and freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Just thaw, heat, and serve for a last-minute dinner.
- Nutritional Information
- Calories per serving 264 - Fat per serving 9g - Saturated fat per serving 2g - Monounsaturated fat per serving 4g - Polyunsaturated fat per serving 2g - Protein per serving 10g - Carbohydrate per serving 42g - Fiber per serving 9g - Cholesterol per serving 4mg - Iron per serving 3mg - Sodium per serving 151mg - Calcium per serving 162mg
Edna Cox Rice, Founder of Carolina Nutrition Consultants, is a well-known Nutrition and Fitness Expert in Lexington, SC. Edna shares reliable and practical advice on how to incorporate healthier food and smarter lifestyle choices for a healthier YOU.
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET