Using cheese-filled tortellini as the noodle here adds more flavor than plain pasta; a hint of miso further enriches the broth. You’ll sometimes find miso in your supermarket’s produce section, near the tofu; it might be on the Asian foods aisle on the shelf. For the least expensive option, pick up miso at an Asian market. We call for white miso here, which is sweeter and less salty than red miso. Once you have it, it will last for months in the fridge; use it in salad dressings, marinades, or anywhere else you want savory depth. You can make the soup a couple of days ahead—just leave out the pasta, as it will swell once it goes into the liquid. Reheat the soup until it comes to a simmer. Then add the tortellini, and cook 6 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 1/3 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (9-oz.) pkg. whole-wheat 3-cheese tortellini
- 8 ounces skinless rotisserie chicken breast, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high. Add onion, carrot, and celery; sauté 8 minutes. Add stock, water, miso, pepper, and salt; increase heat to high. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in tortellini. Cover and reduce heat to medium; cook 6 minutes. Stir in chicken and parsley.
- Nutrition Information
- Calories 281, Fat 10.3g, Satfat 2.4g, Monofat 6.1g, Polyfat 1g, Protein 22g, Carbohydrate 26g, Fiber 5g, Cholesterol 59mg, Iron 2mg, Sodium 637mg, Calcium 109mg, Sugars 5g,Est. added sugars 0g
Edna Cox Rice, Founder of Carolina Nutrition Consultants, is a well-known Nutrition and Fitness Expert in Lexington, SC. Edna shares reliable and practical advice on how to incorporate healthier food and smarter lifestyle choices for a healthier YOU.
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET