Who says soup is just for winter. This creamy soup is a perfect lunch meal in any season.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound broccoli crowns, trimmed and chopped (about 6 cups)
- 1 14-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Bring broth and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Add broccoli, cover and cook until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in beans, salt, and pepper and cook until the beans are heated through about 1 minute.
- Transfer half the mixture to a blender with half the cheese and puree. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Transfer to a bowl. Repeat with the remaining broccoli mixture and cheese. Serve warm.
- Tip: While we love the convenience of canned beans, they tend to be high in sodium. Give them a good rinse before adding to a recipe to rid them of some of their sodium (up to 35 percent) or opt for low-sodium or no-salt-added varieties. (These recipes are analyzed with rinsed, regular canned beans.) Or, if you have the time, cook your own beans from scratch.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Per serving: 152 calories; 7 g fat(4 g sat); 6 g fiber; 15 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 102 mcg folate; 20 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1,241 IU vitamin A; 56 mg vitamin C; 205 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 558 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium
Edna Cox Rice, Founder of Carolina Nutrition Consultants, is a well-known Nutrition and Fitness Expert in Lexington, SC. Edna shares reliable and practical advice on how to incorporate healthier food and smarter lifestyle choices for a healthier YOU.
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET