Skip the heavy dressings and make a healthier salad by flavoring it with olives and basil. Use fresh garden vegetables as a base for this perfect picnic salad.
- 2 cups whole-wheat rotini, (6 ounces)
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 cup diced yellow or red bell pepper, (1 small)
- 1 cup grated carrots, (2-4 carrots)
- ½ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- ½ cup chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- ⅓ cup slivered fresh basil
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta, occasionally stirring, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, oil, vinegar (or lemon juice), garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until smooth. Add the pasta and toss to coat. Add tomatoes, bell pepper, carrots, scallions, olives and basil; toss to coat well.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Nutrition Information
- • Serving size: 1 cup
- • Per serving: 217 calories; 9 g fat(1 g sat); 4 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 32 mcg folate; 4 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 1 g added sugars; 4,338 IU vitamin A; 39 mg vitamin C; 70 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 267 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium
We’re Passionate About Your Health!
http://cnconweb.com – Toll Free: (888) 765-DIET